Saturday, July 20, 2013

My new learning on Action Research


     I've learned many new things about action research through my readings this week.  One thing that I've learned about action research is that it is an approach to change that starts with the administrator.  The first step is reflecting on your approach and practice as an administrator and developing a plan of implementation for changes that need to be made.  After recognizing the changes needed to be made, the administrator researches best practices, collaborates and shares new findings and learning with colleagues, continues reflecting on their growth, and implements these changes in their schools.  They reflect on the effectiveness of these changes and seek out ways to consistently uphold these changes and make tweaks as needed to ensure success and, when needed, accountability.  
    I intend on using action research right now as a teacher on a smaller scale in my own classroom.  I will consistently use this blog to reflect on my approach to teaching and forming relationships with my students.  When I see a problem arise I will use the process of action inquiry to help grow me as a professional.  When I become an administrator, I will consistently use action inquiry to ensure I'm helping to maintain an environment that is supportive, encouraging, and positive.  I will consistently reflect on myself as an administrator, and when I feel I'm lacking in a certain area I will utilize my knowledge of action research to better myself as a professional and for the good of the school.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer I have decided that action research is an awesome tool to use. I too will use action research for the 2013-2014 school year. There are so many areas where action research can be utilized. It is awesome that you will continue to use action research throughout your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you also in putting this into practice as a teacher. I think it is something we do already but on a smaller day to day scale when we are teaching lessons and the students aren't understanding. Effective teachers go back and reflect on what they should do different in order for the students to gain the skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put. I agree with Mickie that we probably do use action research on a day to day, month to month basis to improve our classrooms and students performance. Difference is we don't write a report on it when we are done, if we are truly ever done with our research. Very well thought out information you placed here and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete