Sunday, August 18, 2013

     This course was very challenging for me at the beginning.  I was nervous because I had just developed my internship plan of 44 ways I’m going to grow myself as a leader and basically creating a “to do” list over the next eighteen months.  I was very anxious when I started learning about what an action research plan was. I thought, I had just created a plan and now I have to add more to my list?! During one of the first two weeks there were many videos that we were supposed to watch on blackboard where some Lamar professors were discussing what an action research plan was and I remember sitting there with a confused look on my face as my heart started beating faster and faster.  I did NOT understand what we were supposed to do and my anxiety and blood pressure began rising and rising.  One part of this course that I truly appreciated each week was our weekly web conference.  Dr. Abshire never failed to answer all of our questions and explain in normal terms what was expected of us each week.  I also really felt comforted when I saw that many of my classmates had the same anxiety as I did.  In an online course it’s easy to feel alone and isolated but the discussion boards, the web conferences, conferences with our field supervisor, and blogging helps me to feel like I’m not alone in this and there are others experiencing the same experiences as I am. 
   Blogging started off confusing and scary.  I first thought that it was just another way the course wanted us to implement technology and I rolled my eyes at the thought of it.  I’ve learned to really value my blog and my classmate’s blogs.  I love getting to read the learning, research, questions and wonderings that my classmates are experiencing.  Their blogs inspire me and remind me to add certain things to my plan or reconsider things in my plan.  I feel encouraged and supported when I read their blogs, like we’re all rooting for each other.
    The first thing I do each week is read and respond to the discussion boards.  I feel that they’re a good way for me to focus my brain on what we’re studying this week.  I love reading the thoughts of my classmates and getting their opinions on our readings and what they’re “taking away” from this course.  This week’s question was fun to read.  I think I ended up reading over 20 responses to this question because it kept reminding me of all of the awesome tools we’ve obtained as we leave this course. 
     I really enjoyed the week when we listened to the interviews of Lamar graduates discussing how they’ve used action research in their current positions.  It was really neat seeing how the superintendent of Pasadena ISD uses a tool that I’m learning about.  It made me feel that what I’m doing is relevant and will help grow me as I travel on my path to administration.  I feel that what I’m doing now in graduate school is important and it’s helping my campus and staff.  I feel that everything I’ve done thus far in grad school is helping me make my campus a better place.  I feel that it’s “forcing” me to create these wonderful plans that are going to make my life easier and the teacher’s lives easier and less stressful. 
    This course has been stressful and scary at times, but I’m leaving this course feeling excited and supported as I implement my action research plan at my school over the next eighteen months! 

No comments:

Post a Comment